IBS Tales Home > Mailing List
- To keep up to date with the latest additions to this site and the IBS world, please join the free email mailing list by filling in the form above and clicking on GO.
- All subscribers receive a FREE pdf extract from my book Sophie's Story: My 20-Year Battle With Irritable Bowel Syndrome which covers the Top 10 Stupid Things Said to IBS Sufferers.
- E-mail newsletters are sent out once a month. This is a free service.
- The mailing list has a 'double opt-in procedure' to make sure it complies with the spam laws. This means you will get an email asking you to click on a link to confirm your subscription. Once you have clicked on the link, you're subscribed.
- I will never give out your email address to anyone else. You can unsubscribe at any time by filling in the form above and checking/ticking the 'Leave' option instead of 'Join'.
- If you wish to change your email address just enter the old address and click 'Leave', return to this page and sign up with your new address.
- Here's a sample newsletter...
Sophie's IBS Newsletter - December 2011
Welcome to my December newsletter!
If you have ever wondered whether you can get benefits in the UK as an IBS sufferer, the answer is yes...as long as you don't look too clean. Find out why in a second.
But a quick question first - would anyone be interested in sending in an IBS Tale in video form? I've set up a channel on Youtube for IBS Tales and all I need now is some video stories. It would be great to see some IBSers being open and honest about their symptoms in a video, so if any of you fancy having a go please email me and we can work out the details. Thanks!
IBS Tales Blog
A very kind reader named Luci has shared her incredible story of applying for benefits in the UK as an IBS sufferer. Luci was suffering from diarrhea up to 10 times a day and terrible stomach pain, but when she applied for benefits she was met by a Kafkaesque nightmare of bureaucracy, and medical assessors who seemed to think that looking 'clean and washed' was a sign that you were perfectly healthy and just 'lacking in confidence'...
Read Luci's full story here: http://www.ibstales.com/blog/how-one-ibs-sufferer-beat-atos-and-the-uk-benefits-system/
And please do share your own stories if you have applied for benefits/welfare in the UK or anywhere else in the world. Let's hope that one country somewhere is getting this right...
IBS Treatment Reviews
First, just a quick tip from Mark, who said that he finds a hot water bottle great to deal with pain and abdominal cramps.
There were also three new, awful reviews of Dulcolax this month. Rachel said 'It was honestly the worst pain I have ever experienced in my entire life and I would not recommend this product to anyone, not even sufferers of IBS like me!'
Read the Dulcolax reviews here: http://www.ibstales.com/dulcolax.htm
A much more positive review of Lotronex from Patricia, although she is a bit worried about the cost of the drug. Read her review here: http://www.ibstales.com/lotronex.htm
There was a quick review of Lomotil from Kim, who feels this anti-diarrhea drug has give her her life back: http://www.ibstales.com/lomotil.htm
And Lela has found the magnesium has helped her deal with both IBS and proctalgia fugax (rectal/anal pain): http://www.ibstales.com/magnesium.htm
Ellie wrote in with her story, and she has had symptoms since she was 12. She said, 'It wasn't until I was 14 that I got any medical attention, other then my father telling me 'It's all in your head', screaming it at me, my friends saying it, my other family members saying it...it was extremely painful. I soon became depressed and suffered from suicidal thoughts and anxiety, in silence, so as not to be a 'burden' on everybody else in my life, like I was apparently being.'
That damn 'all in your head' comment just makes me want to scream! What is WRONG with people who say that?
On the bright side, Ellie asked for her tale to be in the happy tales section as she has a great friend who has supported her through all of the pain and given her hope.
Read Ellie's full story here: http://www.ibstales.com/teenagers-conquering-constipation.htm#ellie
That's all folks. As ever, please just reply to this message to send in any comments or questions or use the contact form at http://www.ibstales.com/blog/about/